Abnormal sweating at night can be due to a multitude of variable factors. Obviously a warm climate, excessive clothing and a high ambient temperature can be a cause, but night sweats can also be a result from anxiety and fear.
Causes of abnormal sweating at night
By far the most common cause is the menopause. Other medical causes include:
- viral or bacterial infections of any type,
- thyrotoxicosis (an overactive thyroid gland),
- hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar),
- lymphomas and other cancers,
- a tumour of abscess of the hypothalamus (temperature regulating part of the brain),
- some medications
- withdrawal from narcotics (e.g. heroin).